Schiphol Airport is the main international airport of the Netherlands, 9 kilometres (5.6 miles) southwest of Amsterdam, it is the third-busiest airport in Europe.
Schiphol is the hub for KLM and its regional affiliate KLM Cityhopper as well as for Corendon Dutch Airlines, Martinair, Transavia and TUI fly Netherlands. The airport also serves as a base for EasyJet and LEVEL.
Schiphol Airport to Central Amsterdam
Schiphol Airport includes a railway station below it.
The train is probably the cheapest and most convenient way of getting to Amsterdam city centre. Below compares all the possible travel and ticket options – by train, bus, and metro. There are also numerous taxis: check if they are official ones or raptors.
1. TRAIN: NS (Dutch Railways) trainfrom Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Central (single €5.50 including €1 surcharge for a disposable ticket, 15-20 mins).
With a journey time of only 16 minutes, the City Airport Train is the fastest way to travel to the city centre – without stress and traffic jams and in an environmentally friendly way.
2. TRAIN+METRO:NS train from Schiphol to Amsterdam Zuid (single €4.00 including €1 surcharge, 7 mins) where you can connect onto the metro (single from €3.20).
Metro stations– check if one is convenient for where you are staying.
Nearest metro station for HEIRNET conference: Weesperplein, currently served by three routes: Route 51 (Centraal Station – Amstelveen Westwijk), Route 53 (Centraal Station – Gaasperplas) and Route 54 (Centraal Station – Gein).
3. BUS:Amsterdam Airport Express Bus 397(Connexxion-RNet) from Schiphol Plaza to Amsterdam Elandsgracht (single €6.50, 30 mins). Also, GVB bus 69 Schiphol to Amsterdam Sloterdijk (single €3.20, 40 mins). Note neither bus goes to Amsterdam Central.
4. Amsterdam Travel Ticket:1/2/3 day card (€17/€22.50/€28) combines airport train/397 bus journey with unlimited use of GVB transport in Amsterdam. Valid on a day (not 24 hours) basis.
5. Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket:1/2/3 day card (€19.50/€28/€36.50) offers unlimited travel in Amsterdam & entire region (including Waterland, beaches, Keukenhof etc). Valid on a day (not 24 hours) basis on NS trains (in region), regional buses and Amsterdam GVB transport.
It is extremely easy and comfortable to let an international train take the strain of travelling to Amsterdam.